Skip to main content

University of Connecticut, Rainbow Center Records

 Collection
Identifier: 2013-0153

Scope and Content note

The collection contains newspapers, brochures, pamphlets and binders of materials documenting programs and activities of the Rainbow Center.

Dates

  • 1998-2013

Access

The collection is open and available for research.

Restrictions on Use and Copyright Information

Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from the owner(s) of the copyright.

History

After five years of planning, dreaming, and hard work the Rainbow Center opened in the UConn Student Union, in room 214, on 21 September 1998. The first director, Martha Nelson-Patrick, and administrative assistant, William Hickman, came from the Stonewall Center at UMass Amherst to run the Center with student workers. On 1 August 1999, the Rainbow Center moved from the (old) student union to Whitney House on Route 195, near Mirror Lake. Whitney House was formerly occupied by International House. On 1 August 2004, following the UConn 2000 renovation of the Student Union, the Rainbow Center moved to its current location on the 4th floor of the Student Union. It is the only cultural center on the 4th floor to have its originally planned rooms.

Numerous groups and individuals participated in crafting the mission and direction of the Rainbow Center. As part of the overall commitment to diversity and civility, the administration at the University of Connecticut has dedicated staff, office space, and resources to address the needs of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, and Allied members of the campus community. Additional information about the Rainbow Center and its programs can be found on its website.

Extent

1 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The collection contains newspapers, brochures, pamphlets and binders of materials documenting programs and activities of the Rainbow Center.

Provenance and Acquisition

The materials were transferred by the Rainbow Center in 2013. Additional materials are transferred periodically.
Title
University of Connecticut, Rainbow Center Records
Status
Ready For Export
Author
Archives & Special Collections staff
Date
2014 January
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, University of Connecticut Library Repository

Contact:
University of Connecticut Library
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs Connecticut 06269-1205 USA US