Showing Collections: 31 - 45 of 45
The University of Connecticut's School of Business was established in 1941 as the School of Business Administration. The collection contains faculty minutes, accreditation documentation, and annual activity reports from the school's founding in 1941 until 1998.
Records documenting the early legislative career of Robert R. "Rob" Simmons. Simmons represented Stonington and North Stonington from 1991 to 2001 in the Connecticut General Assembly before his election to Congress, representing Connecticut's Second Congressional District from 2001 until 2007. He was nominated as Connecticut's first Business Advocate by Governor M. Jodi Rell in February 2007, and in April was unanimously confirmed by both houses of the General Assembly.
Eugene St. Pierre was a prominent labor leader in the Hartford area from 1955 to 1974.
The Storrs Tennis Association was established to foster the game within the environs of Storrs, Connecticut, and was open to residents over the age of eighteen. The Association was in existence from circa 1915 through 1947.
Eleanor Taft Tilton, daughter of Dr. Charles and Martha Jarvis Taft, was born in Hartford, Connecticut, on 1 January 1901. She attended Vassar and Barnard Colleges, but did not earn a degree. She married Arthur vcan Riper Tilton; he was employed by the Hartford Fire Insurance Company for many years. Mrs. Tilton died on 26 March 1984.
Nicholas J. Tomassetti was born 17 December 1914 in Pueblo, Colorado. He was a labor organizer and leader associated with the United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers Union as well as a Democratic representative to the Connecticut General Assembly. Mr. Tomassetti died 18 December 1978 in New Britain, Connecticut.
George Safford Torrey was born 14 March 1891 in Boston, Massachusetts. Torrey was hired in 1915 as an instructor of Botany at the Connecticut Agricultural College and in 1928 received tenure and was appointed Head of the Botany Department. Torrey retired from the University in 1953 and died in 1977.
Organized in February 1960, the University Club was created by the merger of two former Faculty Clubs with (dining) facilities in the new "Commons" building. It ceased to exist in the spring of 1968 when its functions were undertaken by the new Faculty-Alumni Center.
The collection contains documents related to the administrative, financial, social and cultural functions of the University of Connecticut League from 1966-201998. Founded "to promote social and friendly relations within, and to provide worthwhile service to the University and community," the UConn League has sponsored a variety of social, cultural, and fundraising events for the local and UConn communities and for its own membership.
The University Senate is a legislative body responsible for establishing minimum rules and general regulations pertaining to all undergraduate schools and colleges. The collection contains the officials minutes of the organization as well as reports, studies and working materials of the Senate and its associated committees. Also included are the minutes of an earlier faculty governance and policy decision making group.
In 1949, Wardwell was appointed instructor in the Department of Sociology at the University of Connecticut. He was promoted to Assistant Professor in 1952 and to Professor in 1966. He retired in 1984 after a 35 year teaching career at the University.
Nathan L. Whetten began his career at the University of Connecticut 1932 as a statistician in the Sociology Department, then located at the Experimental Station. In 1940, Whetten was offered the position of Dean of the Graduate School, a position he held until 1970/1971. Dr. Whetten died in 1984.
At the time of its formation in 1866, the Hartford Association was one of the earliest Associations for young women in America, and the first community social agency in Hartford.