Showing Collections: 1 - 30 of 45
John D. Alsop was elected to the Connecticut state legislature in 1946. He served as co-chairperson of one of the three committees that wrote the present Connecticut State Constitution at the Constitutional Convention of 1965.
Newspaper clippings, genealogies and other literature with information about the history of French Canadians in Connecticut.
Manuscript of "Strolling Thru Memoryland" by Rip Blevins and contains recollections of ten early 20th century sports figures.
Fred A. Cazel, Jr., professor of History (1948-1988)at the University of Connecticut from 1948-1988. Active in many professional and University committees, Dr. Cazel died in July 2011.
Collection contains significant documentation of the University's Centennial Celebration which took place in the academic year 1980-1981.
The Centennial Coordinating Committee was responsible for the extensive planning of the university of Connecticut's centennial celebration. The official observance of its 100th anniversary began 23 September 1980. William C. Orr served as chairman of the committee from its inception in 1979 to a successful conclusion at the Ninety-Eighth Annual Commencement, 24 May 1981.
The Connecticut Nurses' Association (CNA) is a professional organization of registered Nurses in Connecticut and a member of the American Nurses' Association (ANA). CNA was established in 1904 as the Graduate Nurses' Association (GNA) of Connecticut out of the Connecticut Training School. Its main objective was to draft and introduce into legislation a bill to regulate nursing practice in Connecticut. The main headquarters of the CNA is located in Meriden, Connecticut.
The Connecticut Women's Educational and Llegal Fund (CWEALF), a non-profit public interest law firm, was founded in 1973. CWEALF helps women gain equality under the law. Its establishment resulted from sex discrimination in mortgage lending, when attorneys from the Status of Women Committee of the Connecticut Bar Association joined forces and worked for the passage of the Connecticut Equal Credit Act.
The Thomas J. Dodd Papers illuminate the diverse public life of a self-styled crusader. The collection consists primarily of material from Dodd's Senate years (1959-1971) and the Nuremberg war crimes trial before the International Military Tribunal from 1945-1946.
Josephine A. Dolan was the first professor of nursing at the University of Connecticut School of Nursing. Miss Dolan collected materials to write a book on the history of nursing from dealers or, in the case of the Wolcott series, from descendants of the family.
In 1987, the Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian Alliance of Connecticut (ELLA) was formed to alert federal and state officials on issues concerning their respective countries. In particular, ELLA was formed to provide the media with accurate information on Baltic causes. Through these efforts, ELLA promotes a better understanding of the historic Baltic peoples as well as their contemporary problems.
Theodore Sedgwick Gold was born in Madison, New York. T.S. Gold graduated from Yale College in 1838 and then spent four years studying and teaching at academies in Goshen and Waterbury. He moved to Cornwall in 1842 to pursue a career in farming. Mr. Gold was a trustee of the Storrs Agricultural School from 1881 to 1901 and took an active role in promoting the school's growth and development throughout his lifetime.
John Colton Greene (b. 1917) was a Professor of History at the University of Connecticut from 1967 until his retirement twenty years later. His research interests included history of evolutionary ideas in Western thought, early American science, and the historical relations of science, religion, and world view.
The Charles B. Gunn Collection consists of papers produced by and about Gunn, as well as materials he collected of historical information about the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Company, Penn Central, Amtrak, and Conrail. The collection includes photographs taken by Gunn when he served as official photographer for the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Company, in the mid-1950s.
Official quotation book of stock prices from companies in the Hartford, Connecticut, area that the Hartford Stock Exchange traded in. The ledger contains stock prices for the years 1918 to 1925.
The Italians of New London Oral History Project was conducted by Jerome Fischer, director of the Jewish Federation of Eastern Connecticut, based in New London.
The collection documents the personal and professional lives of several generations of Leavenworths residing in Connecticut.
The collection consists of five unpublished writings compiled, annotated, or written by Mr. Levitt, a historical consultant of Fresh Meadows, New York.
Francis T. Maloney was a United States Senator from 1934 until his death in 1945. Previous to that, he was a Congressman and, before that, Mayor of his hometown, Meriden, Connecticut. During World War I he was a member of the U.S. Naval Reserve Force.
Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge Free And Accepted Masons Of Connecticut (Prince Hall Masons) Records
The history of Black Free and Accepted Masons dates its origin from the initiation of Prince Hall on 6 March 1775 along with fourteen other free blacks into a Military Lodge of white masons. Lodge No. 441 of the Irish Registry up to the present time.
The corporate records of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad document the history and impact of the system that dominated railroad transportation in southern New England from 1872 to 1969.
The 1991-1992 academic year at UConn marked the 100th anniversary of women on the Storrs campus. The anniversary was celebrated by a year-long series of programs to commemorate the achievements of women, particularly those at the University of Connecticut.
Arthur Joseph Pierpont was born 3 December 1876. He was a 1895 graduate of Storrs Agricultural College, now the University of Connecticut. A noted authority on agricultural matters, Mr. Pierpont was a member of the Waterbury Milk Producers Association, Trustee of his alma mater (Connecticut Agricultural College as of 1899) and manager of the College's Gilbert Farm, a working farm in Georgetown, Connecticut, bequeathed to the College in 1906.
Appointed principal and professor of agriculture at the August 1881 meeting of the Board of Trustees, Solomon Mead of New Haven is described as a “practical farmer and gardener”. He oversaw the first two years of the Storrs Agricultural School.
Records of the chief administrative officer of the University of Connecticut and its predecessor institutions. The records are subdivided by administration and identified and described by the name/tenure of the individual serving as president. In more recent years, the records are identified by date of transfer.
- History 40
- Correspondence 33
- Publications (documents) 29
- Administrative records 22
- Photographs 22
- Financial records 20
- Notes 15
- Universities and colleges 14
- Photocopies 12
- United States (nation) 11
- Education 10
- manuscripts (document genre) 10
- Personal papers 9
- Notebooks 8
- Press releases 8
- Storrs (inhabited place) 8
- College presidents 7
- Twentieth century. 7
- Blueprints (reprographic copies). 6 + ∧ less
- Abbot Academy 1
- Cazel, Fred A. 1
- University of Connecticut. Medieval Studies Program 1