Showing Collections: 91 - 120 of 304
The Diocesan Labor Institute was founded in 1942 by Joseph F. Donnelly, then a Waterbury parish priest, later a monsignor, and eventually Auxiliary Bishop of the Hartford Archdiocese. The main purpose of Institute was to instruct workers on Catholic social philosophy and on the basics of trade unionism.
The Thomas J. Dodd Papers illuminate the diverse public life of a self-styled crusader. The collection consists primarily of material from Dodd's Senate years (1959-1971) and the Nuremberg war crimes trial before the International Military Tribunal from 1945-1946.
Josephine A. Dolan was the first professor of nursing at the University of Connecticut School of Nursing. Miss Dolan collected materials to write a book on the history of nursing from dealers or, in the case of the Wolcott series, from descendants of the family.
Law school papers of Ethel F. Donaghue, one of the earliest women to practice law in Connecticut.
Scrapbook containing newspaper clippings and photographs concerning Jeremiah Driscoll's activities with Royal Industrial Union (Local 937, UAW-CIO) of Hartford, Connecticut, public concerns of evictions of families from housing projects because of their "over-income", unionization efforts in Connecticut businesses, and state politics.
The collection consists of research notes and datasets compiled by Thomas Dublin while he conducted research in the 1980s about workers at the Jewett City Cotton Manufacturing Company in Jewett City, Connecticut. Professor Dublin used materials about the company that are in the Slater Company Records, held in Archives & Special Collections at the University of Connecticut Libraries.
For more than a century, the E. Ingraham Company was a prominent family-operated manufacturer of clocks and watches, with headquarters and plants located in Bristol, Connecticut
Materials relating to the proposed development of the Eaton farmland and related zoning disputes in Mansfield Center, CT (1987-1993).
In 1955, the Connecticut General Assembly authorized funding for the construction of a junior-senior high school in Mansfield, Connecticut, to be administered by the University of Connecticut. The school opened in the fall of 1958 and remained a division of the UConn School of Education until the summer of 1987.
In 1973, Marcia R. Lieberman was denied tenure with the University of Connecticut English Department. The same year, she initiated a class action suit against the institution, charging sexual discrimination on behalf of all women who had served or sought employment on or after 1 October 1967. The six year suit was found in favor of the University; Lieberman's appeal was denied in 1980. Ellen Embardo was a library staff member and one of the plaintiffs in the class action suit.
The collection contains professional and personal correspondence, photographs, drafts, essays, newspaper clippings and ephemera related to Estes long career as a children's book author and illustrator.
In 1987, the Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian Alliance of Connecticut (ELLA) was formed to alert federal and state officials on issues concerning their respective countries. In particular, ELLA was formed to provide the media with accurate information on Baltic causes. Through these efforts, ELLA promotes a better understanding of the historic Baltic peoples as well as their contemporary problems.
The Faculty Club of the Connecticut Agricultural College was founded in 1915. It was established as a social organization open to "all male members of the several college staffs whose names appear in the catalog."
The collection consists of one manuscript, a Junior honors project, completed by Ms. Fallows for the Sociology/Anthropolgy Department at Wellesley College in 1947. The manuscript documents the early ethnic history of Granby, Connecticut and the reactions of the long-time residents to the arrival and assimilation of several ethnic groups.
Elmer F. Farnham was a resident of Norwich, Connecticut, and a features writer for the Norwich Bulletin. He was author of The Quickest Route: The History of the Norwich & Worcester Railroad, published in 1973 by Pequot Press. The collection consists of photographs of locomotives and railroad scenes of the Norwich & Worcestor Railroad, the Central Vermont Railway, and other southern New England railroads.
Rudy J. Favretti, professor of Landscape Architecture at the University of Connecticut, from 1955 until his retirement in 1989.
Vietnam War veteran Basil T. Paquet founded First Casualty Press in September 1971 with fellow veterans Larry Rottmann and Jan Barry Crumb. Paquet both edited and contributed to Winning Hearts and Minds: War Poems by Vietnam Veterans and Free Fire Zone: Short Stories by Vietnam Veterans. Paquet won the Wallace Stevens Award for Poetry in 1969.
Children's author and illustrator, born in 1914, who lived in Rowayton, Connecticut from 1942 until his death in 1998. Author of 17 children's books, also a freelance illustrator and painter.
The records of the Foxon Homemakers Club, an associate member of the New Haven County Extension Service.
The collection contains financial records, legal documents, blueprints, drawings, newspaper clippings and photographs of the houses built by the Frederick G. Holland Company between 1923 and 1959. The houses were constructed primarily in a housing development in East Hartford, Connecticut, although additional properties in Bloomfield, Hartford, Wethersfield and South Windsor are included. A later addition added documentation on the history of the land and house sales.
Mildred P. French was the Dean of Women and Home Economics at the University of Connecticut from 1928 until her retirement in 1953.
Papers of a Russian ballerina in the Moscow Bolshoi Theater who emigrated to Connecticut in 1957.
Margaret Witter Fuller was born 23 January 1872, in Brooklyn, New York. In 1874, the family moved to Norwich, Connecticut. Miss Fuller resided in Norwich for many years. A prolific writer, she authored many poems, plays and novels. Miss Fuller died 1 February 1954 in Boston, MA.
The collection contains calendars, correspondence and personal materials created or acquired during the Gaylord family's association with the University.
Theodore Sedgwick Gold was born in Madison, New York. T.S. Gold graduated from Yale College in 1838 and then spent four years studying and teaching at academies in Goshen and Waterbury. He moved to Cornwall in 1842 to pursue a career in farming. Mr. Gold was a trustee of the Storrs Agricultural School from 1881 to 1901 and took an active role in promoting the school's growth and development throughout his lifetime.
- Subject: Connecticut (state) X
- Correspondence 213
- Publications (documents) 161
- Administrative records 142
- Photographs 130
- Financial records 125
- Notes 80
- Photocopies 75
- manuscripts (document genre) 59
- United States (nation) 54
- Universities and colleges 54
- Press releases 49
- Education 46
- minutes (administrative records) 45
- Notebooks 43
- Fliers (printed matter) 42
- History 40
- Storrs (inhabited place) 35
- Labor unions 32
- Personal papers 30 + ∧ less
- Abbot Academy 1
- Cazel, Fred A. 1
- McDermott, William P., Dr. 1
- Sendak, Maurice 1
- Smith, James T., 1846-1925 1