Showing Collections: 91 - 120 of 127
Contains the office files of the President's Office during Dr. Ferguson's administration as well as personal documents, correspondence, photographs, diaries, and emphemera from Ferguson's childhood through his careers as a diplomat, administrator of the Peace Corps/VISTA, academic administrator, and head of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty and Lincoln Center.
In March, 1979, John A. DiBiaggio became the tenth president of the University of Connecticut, eleven months after the resignation of Glenn W. Ferguson.
John T. Casteen III was inaugurated as the University of Connecticut's eleventh president on October 12, 1985.
Materials pertaining to Mr. Ratchford's term of office as United States Congressman representing Connecticut's fifth Congressional district.
Malcolm D. Rudd was born 3 April 1877 in Lakeville, CT, the son of General William Bearfslee (1838-1901) and Maria Coffing (Holley) Rudd (1842-1914). He was treasurer and general manager of the Holley Manufacturing Company from 1901 until his death in 1942.
The Richard Scarry Papers contain materials related to Scarry himself, but the majority of the archives pertains to the creation, production, and distribution of his books for children. The archives contains materials and correspondence concerning Scarry's early work, with Western Publishing and Little Golden Books, beginning in the 1950s. A greater amount of material concerns the works produced by Scarry during his later association with Random House.
Esphyr Slobodkina was an artist, illustrator, and children's book author. Materials in the collection are comprised of illustrations, manuscripts, and other documents related to the publication of her works. There are also various materials related to her personal life.
The Slow Loris Press was a independent non-profit venture headed by Anthony and Patricia Petrosky. The Slow Loris Press focused on publishing a poetry magazine called Rapport which evolved into a more wide ranging format with the start of the Slow Loris Reader (SLR) in 1978. The Press also published chapbooks and broadsides. It ceased operation in 1984 principally due to insufficient financial support.
The Smith family of Canterbury, CT, owned and operated a number of mills in the section of Hanover from the mid-eighteenth century until the 1940s. The original site on Little River, north of Hanover and Woodchuck Hill Roads, became the home to five successive generations of Smiths.
Established in January 1878 as the District Telephone Company of New Haven, Connecticut; opened the world's first telephone exchange that same year. Reorganized as the Southern New England Telephone Company in 1882. Provided telephone service to residents in the state of Connecticut until 1998.
Joseph Sposato was born 25 March 1912 in Retsof, NY. He began his employment at the American Velvet Company in 1927. He was a founding member of the first organized union at the company (1936) and was president of Local #110, Textile Workers Union of America (Stonington, CT) from 1940 until 1948 and elected again in 1952 until 1958. He retired from the American Velvet Company in 1980.
Eugene St. Pierre was a prominent labor leader in the Hartford area from 1955 to 1974.
Stallman's research and project files on Stephen Crane. Chiefly photocopies of secondary articles on Crane and of some primary documents. Also includes Stallman's own research notes and correspondence (interspersed), and Stallman's annotated copies of Crane books and reference works.
Works of art, dummies, and gallery proofs produced by children's book author Catherine Stock.
The J.W. Swanberg Papers consist of chapter and caption drafts, galley proofs, correspondence, and other materials associated with Mr. Swanberg's book New Haven Power and photographs taken by Mr. Swanberg throughout his railroad career.
Terres was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on 17 December 1905. He attended the State Teachers College (Indiana, PA), Cornell University and New York University. A field biologist for the Soil Conservation Service from 1936 until 1942, Terres authored, co-authored and edited more than fifty books pertaining to natural history.
George Safford Torrey was born 14 March 1891 in Boston, Massachusetts. Torrey was hired in 1915 as an instructor of Botany at the Connecticut Agricultural College and in 1928 received tenure and was appointed Head of the Botany Department. Torrey retired from the University in 1953 and died in 1977.
The United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners was founded on 8 August 1881. In 1892, sixty-eight carpenters in the Stamford area, dissatisfied with low wages and long workweeks, agreed to join the union. With the assistance of Frank Duffy, president of the New York UBCJ Council, UBCJ Local 210 of Stamford was organized. The charter was granted on 14 October 1897.
The collection contains documents related to the administrative, financial, social and cultural functions of the University of Connecticut League from 1966-201998. Founded "to promote social and friendly relations within, and to provide worthwhile service to the University and community," the UConn League has sponsored a variety of social, cultural, and fundraising events for the local and UConn communities and for its own membership.
George Alan Works assumed the presidency of Connecticut Agricultural College in 1929 after a distinguished career at the University of Chicago.
This is an artificial collection of publications, timetables, forms, reports, track diagrams and charts, equipment blueprints, maps, drawings and artwork, and photographs almost exclusively associated with the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad and its predecessor railroad lines, gathered from many donors and purchases.
The Vice President and Chief Financial Officer is responsible for coordinating the development of financial plans, implementing the annual budget, financial reporting, accounting and debt management.
Office records for the office responsible for the administration of operations and fiscal activities for the University of Connecticut.
The history of the Wauregan Mills, the Quinebaug Company and other related mills is very much tied to the history of the Atwood family. The collection includes family records and materials as well as records of the Wauregan Mills, Wauregan Company, Quinebaug Mill, Wauregan-Quinebaug Company, and Wauregan Mills, Inc.
The Leonard Weisgard Papers document the creative processes of this award-winning author and illustrator, with his book art, commercial and promotional illustration, correspondence, and an extensive reference material series. The collection was donated in 2009 by Weisgard's children, Abigail, Christina and Ethan, all of whom reside in Denmark.