Showing Collections: 61 - 81 of 81
Esphyr Slobodkina was an artist, illustrator, and children's book author. Materials in the collection are comprised of illustrations, manuscripts, and other documents related to the publication of her works. There are also various materials related to her personal life.
The Smith family of Canterbury, CT, owned and operated a number of mills in the section of Hanover from the mid-eighteenth century until the 1940s. The original site on Little River, north of Hanover and Woodchuck Hill Roads, became the home to five successive generations of Smiths.
The papers include the correspondence, short stories, journalistic articles, correspondence, poems, novels, and plays of journalist, essayist, novelist and pulp fiction writer, Walter Snow.
Established in January 1878 as the District Telephone Company of New Haven, Connecticut; opened the world's first telephone exchange that same year. Reorganized as the Southern New England Telephone Company in 1882. Provided telephone service to residents in the state of Connecticut until 1998.
Joseph Sposato was born 25 March 1912 in Retsof, NY. He began his employment at the American Velvet Company in 1927. He was a founding member of the first organized union at the company (1936) and was president of Local #110, Textile Workers Union of America (Stonington, CT) from 1940 until 1948 and elected again in 1952 until 1958. He retired from the American Velvet Company in 1980.
The collection contains the professional papers of Professor Bruce M. Stave, Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor of History Emeritus and Director of the Oral History Office at the University of Connecticut. He served as Chair of the Department of History between 1985 and 1994.
George Safford Torrey was born 14 March 1891 in Boston, Massachusetts. Torrey was hired in 1915 as an instructor of Botany at the Connecticut Agricultural College and in 1928 received tenure and was appointed Head of the Botany Department. Torrey retired from the University in 1953 and died in 1977.
The collection contains ephemeral and artifactual materials created, collected, utilized, worn and/or associated primarily with members of the University community in conjunction with their experiences at or with the University of Connecticut.
The collection contains documents related to the administrative, financial, social and cultural functions of the University of Connecticut League from 1966-201998. Founded "to promote social and friendly relations within, and to provide worthwhile service to the University and community," the UConn League has sponsored a variety of social, cultural, and fundraising events for the local and UConn communities and for its own membership.
This is an artificial collection of publications, timetables, forms, reports, track diagrams and charts, equipment blueprints, maps, drawings and artwork, and photographs almost exclusively associated with the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad and its predecessor railroad lines, gathered from many donors and purchases.
Personal and professional papers, notebooks, and photographs of Albert E. Waugh, Professor and administrator at the University of Connecticut from 1924 until his retirement in 1965. Materials document his career, political activities, research interests and retirement.
The Leonard Weisgard Papers document the creative processes of this award-winning author and illustrator, with his book art, commercial and promotional illustration, correspondence, and an extensive reference material series. The collection was donated in 2009 by Weisgard's children, Abigail, Christina and Ethan, all of whom reside in Denmark.
Randolph W. Whaples and Beatrice C. H. Whaples graduated from Connecticut Agricultural College in 1927. Mrs. Whaples returned to the University of Connecticut in the mid 1950s and was awarded an M.S. degree in 1957. The collection contains course notes, assignments, papers, quizzes, examinations and similar materials related to the academic career of the Whaples.
Born in New York in 1912; graduated in 1933 with a B. A. in Economics from the University of Chicago; was actively involved in political journalism from 1934 to 1941; operated several public-relations firms, including Herman Wolf Associates; served as a chief campaign aide for many successful campaigns for offices; member of the National Press Club, the Public Relations Society of America, and the Bridgeport Chamber of Commerce.
The Women's Club of Storrs began as the College Club in 1903. The purpose of the club, as stated in the first club constitution, was to promote literary and social culture. Membership was open to women connected with the [University of Connecticut] faculty, and included a few women faculty and faculty wives. A new constitution adopted in 1917 changed the name to the Women's Club of Storrs, and offered membership to “any woman of the community interested in the aims of the club.”
- Photographs 80
- Correspondence 77
- Publications (documents) 71
- Notes 58
- Administrative records 49
- Financial records 48
- Photocopies 45
- manuscripts (document genre) 43
- Connecticut (state) 33
- Fliers (printed matter) 29
- Monographs 27
- Press releases 27
- Newspapers 24
- Newsletters 23
- minutes (administrative records) 23
- Typescripts 22
- Blueprints (reprographic copies). 20
- Videocassettes 20
- Audio visual materials 19 + ∧ less
- Portuguese 1
- Swedish 1
- Charters, Ann. 1
- Sendak, Maurice 1