Quarries and quarrying
Subject Source: Fast
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Abstract The Chatham Quarry, or Town Quarry, was a small part of the extensive brownstone quarries located on the banks of the Connecticut River near the towns of Portland and Middletown, Connecticut. The Chatham Quarry, which took in about two acres, remained under municipal control for the use of the inhabitants of the towns of Chatham and Middletown throughout its existence. In 1824, the town of Middletown leased the quarry to John Lawrence Lewis for five years in order to extract stones for the...