Found in 66 Collections and/or Records:
The United Association of Plumbers and Steamfitters, Local 305, was established on 17 June 1910 by a group of piping tradesmen. Three of its founders were William Tomlinson, Charles A. Smith and Frank Kennedy.
The United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners was founded on 8 August 1881. In 1892, sixty-eight carpenters in the Stamford area, dissatisfied with low wages and long workweeks, agreed to join the union. With the assistance of Frank Duffy, president of the New York UBCJ Council, UBCJ Local 210 of Stamford was organized. The charter was granted on 14 October 1897.
The collection contains ephemeral and artifactual materials created, collected, utilized, worn and/or associated primarily with members of the University community in conjunction with their experiences at or with the University of Connecticut.
The collection contains documents related to the administrative, financial, social and cultural functions of the University of Connecticut League from 1966-201998. Founded "to promote social and friendly relations within, and to provide worthwhile service to the University and community," the UConn League has sponsored a variety of social, cultural, and fundraising events for the local and UConn communities and for its own membership.
Charles Upton was born on December 13, 1948 in San Francisco. He published two volumes of poetry at the age of 19, and despite his relative youth, has been considered a member of the Beat Poet generation ever since. Upton was also involved in peace activism, alternative spiritualities and later in traditionalist metaphysics.
The history of the Wauregan Mills, the Quinebaug Company and other related mills is very much tied to the history of the Atwood family. The collection includes family records and materials as well as records of the Wauregan Mills, Wauregan Company, Quinebaug Mill, Wauregan-Quinebaug Company, and Wauregan Mills, Inc.