Found in 262 Collections and/or Records:
The collection contains administrative records, correspondence, financial records, legal documents, maps, notes, publications, preliminary sketches, blueprints, and microfilm from the Seymour Manufacturing Company and the Seymour Specialty Wire Company. The Seymour Manufacturing Company, later renamed the Seymour Specialty Wire Company, produced brass products at several mills along the Naugatuck River for over one hundred years, before closing in 1991.
Records documenting the early legislative career of Robert R. "Rob" Simmons. Simmons represented Stonington and North Stonington from 1991 to 2001 in the Connecticut General Assembly before his election to Congress, representing Connecticut's Second Congressional District from 2001 until 2007. He was nominated as Connecticut's first Business Advocate by Governor M. Jodi Rell in February 2007, and in April was unanimously confirmed by both houses of the General Assembly.
Esphyr Slobodkina was an artist, illustrator, and children's book author. Materials in the collection are comprised of illustrations, manuscripts, and other documents related to the publication of her works. There are also various materials related to her personal life.
The Slow Loris Press was a independent non-profit venture headed by Anthony and Patricia Petrosky. The Slow Loris Press focused on publishing a poetry magazine called Rapport which evolved into a more wide ranging format with the start of the Slow Loris Reader (SLR) in 1978. The Press also published chapbooks and broadsides. It ceased operation in 1984 principally due to insufficient financial support.
The Smith family of Canterbury, CT, owned and operated a number of mills in the section of Hanover from the mid-eighteenth century until the 1940s. The original site on Little River, north of Hanover and Woodchuck Hill Roads, became the home to five successive generations of Smiths.
The collection documents the career of James T. Smith of Connecticut,
Joseph George Sobek was born 5 April 1918, in Greenwich, Connecticut and was raised there. He served in the Marines and later became a police detective. Until he retired in 1985, he had spent most of his life as a tennis and squash racquets professional at the Greenwich Country Club. He died of congenital heart disease March 27, 1998. Sobek was the first person inducted into the Racquetball Hall of Fame.
The Somersville Manufacturing Company was established in 1879 by Rockwell Keeney and produced fine woolens in Somersville, Connecticut. The company was run by members of the Keeney family for the 90 years of its existence. The collection consists of administrative and financial records, marketing materials, photographs, scrapbooks, and correspondence.
Established in January 1878 as the District Telephone Company of New Haven, Connecticut; opened the world's first telephone exchange that same year. Reorganized as the Southern New England Telephone Company in 1882. Provided telephone service to residents in the state of Connecticut until 1998.
Joseph Sposato was born 25 March 1912 in Retsof, NY. He began his employment at the American Velvet Company in 1927. He was a founding member of the first organized union at the company (1936) and was president of Local #110, Textile Workers Union of America (Stonington, CT) from 1940 until 1948 and elected again in 1952 until 1958. He retired from the American Velvet Company in 1980.
Eugene St. Pierre was a prominent labor leader in the Hartford area from 1955 to 1974.
Works of art, dummies, and gallery proofs produced by children's book author Catherine Stock.
The collection contains administrative records and historical documents of the Storrs (Connecticut) Congregational Church.
The Storrs Tennis Association was established to foster the game within the environs of Storrs, Connecticut, and was open to residents over the age of eighteen. The Association was in existence from circa 1915 through 1947.
The collection contains records of the Student Fee Advisory Committe at the University of Connecticut, to include budget proposals, hearings, questions, and an overview of organizations and fees charged.
The J.W. Swanberg Papers consist of chapter and caption drafts, galley proofs, correspondence, and other materials associated with Mr. Swanberg's book New Haven Power and photographs taken by Mr. Swanberg throughout his railroad career.
Terres was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on 17 December 1905. He attended the State Teachers College (Indiana, PA), Cornell University and New York University. A field biologist for the Soil Conservation Service from 1936 until 1942, Terres authored, co-authored and edited more than fifty books pertaining to natural history.
Eleanor Taft Tilton, daughter of Dr. Charles and Martha Jarvis Taft, was born in Hartford, Connecticut, on 1 January 1901. She attended Vassar and Barnard Colleges, but did not earn a degree. She married Arthur vcan Riper Tilton; he was employed by the Hartford Fire Insurance Company for many years. Mrs. Tilton died on 26 March 1984.
George Safford Torrey was born 14 March 1891 in Boston, Massachusetts. Torrey was hired in 1915 as an instructor of Botany at the Connecticut Agricultural College and in 1928 received tenure and was appointed Head of the Botany Department. Torrey retired from the University in 1953 and died in 1977.
The Connecticut Technology Park was a multi-partner development project to provide research and business environment for emerging and established companies located adjacent to the Storrs campus of the University of Connecticut.
The United Association of Plumbers and Steamfitters, Local 305, was established on 17 June 1910 by a group of piping tradesmen. Three of its founders were William Tomlinson, Charles A. Smith and Frank Kennedy.
The United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners was founded on 8 August 1881. In 1892, sixty-eight carpenters in the Stamford area, dissatisfied with low wages and long workweeks, agreed to join the union. With the assistance of Frank Duffy, president of the New York UBCJ Council, UBCJ Local 210 of Stamford was organized. The charter was granted on 14 October 1897.
Organized in February 1960, the University Club was created by the merger of two former Faculty Clubs with (dining) facilities in the new "Commons" building. It ceased to exist in the spring of 1968 when its functions were undertaken by the new Faculty-Alumni Center.
John P. McDonald was the Director of the University of Connecticut Libraries from 1963 through 1986. The collection contains correspondence, reports, studies and information on the Libraries' and associated programs, as well as materials pertaining to McDonald's interests in birds.