Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Found in 261 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract: Records documenting the early legislative career of Robert R. "Rob" Simmons. Simmons represented Stonington and North Stonington from 1991 to 2001 in the Connecticut General Assembly before his election to Congress, representing Connecticut's Second Congressional District from 2001 until 2007. He was nominated as Connecticut's first Business Advocate by Governor M. Jodi Rell in February 2007, and in April was unanimously confirmed by both houses of the General Assembly.
Dates: undated, 1967-2006
Abstract In 1809, John W. Tibbits and Lafayette Tibbits came to Jewett City, Connecticut, and purchased a mill privilege on the Pachaug River. After enjoying several good years during the War of 1812, the company was reorganized in 1815, and incorporated on 20 September 1816. The company was soon struggling and was finally sold in 1823 to John Slater. On the death of John Slater in 1843, his two sons John Fox and William S. Slater inherited his business properties. John F. Slater was succeeded by his...
Abstract Esphyr Slobodkina was an artist, illustrator, and children's book author. Materials in the collection are comprised of illustrations, manuscripts, and other documents related to the publication of her works. There are also various materials related to her personal life.
Dates: undated, 1899-1995
Abstract The Slow Loris Press was a independent non-profit venture headed by Anthony and Patricia Petrosky. The Slow Loris Press focused on publishing a poetry magazine called Rapport which evolved into a more wide ranging format with the start of the Slow Loris Reader (SLR) in 1978. The Press also published chapbooks and broadsides. It ceased operation in 1984 principally due to insufficient financial support.
Abstract The Smith family of Canterbury, CT, owned and operated a number of mills in the section of Hanover from the mid-eighteenth century until the 1940s. The original site on Little River, north of Hanover and Woodchuck Hill Roads, became the home to five successive generations of Smiths.
Abstract The collection documents the career of James T. Smith of Connecticut,
Abstract Joseph George Sobek was born 5 April 1918, in Greenwich, Connecticut and was raised there. He served in the Marines and later became a police detective. Until he retired in 1985, he had spent most of his life as a tennis and squash racquets professional at the Greenwich Country Club. He died of congenital heart disease March 27, 1998. Sobek was the first person inducted into the Racquetball Hall of Fame.
Dates: undated, 1951-1981
Abstract The Somersville Manufacturing Company was established in 1879 by Rockwell Keeney and produced fine woolens in Somersville, Connecticut. The company was run by members of the Keeney family for the 90 years of its existence. The collection consists of administrative and financial records, marketing materials, photographs, scrapbooks, and correspondence.
Dates: undated, 1867-2013
Abstract Established in January 1878 as the District Telephone Company of New Haven, Connecticut; opened the world's first telephone exchange that same year. Reorganized as the Southern New England Telephone Company in 1882. Provided telephone service to residents in the state of Connecticut until 1998.
Dates: undated, 1877-2003
Abstract Joseph Sposato was born 25 March 1912 in Retsof, NY. He began his employment at the American Velvet Company in 1927. He was a founding member of the first organized union at the company (1936) and was president of Local #110, Textile Workers Union of America (Stonington, CT) from 1940 until 1948 and elected again in 1952 until 1958. He retired from the American Velvet Company in 1980.
Dates: undated, 1934-1972
Abstract Eugene St. Pierre was a prominent labor leader in the Hartford area from 1955 to 1974.
Abstract The Steele and Johnson Manufacturing Company was established as the Waterbury Jewell Company in 1851 and soon changed its name to the Steele and Johnson Button Company. In 1865 the company established its New York store, and in 1875 this manufacturer of brass buttons and various metal goods changed its name to the Steele and Johnson Manufacturing Company. Steele and Johnson produced and sold items primarily to brass companies and other businesses in Connecticut and Massachusetts, with customers...
Dates: undated, 1837-1937
Abstract Works of art, dummies, and gallery proofs produced by children's book author Catherine Stock.
Dates: undated, 1983-2004
Abstract The collection contains administrative records and historical documents of the Storrs (Connecticut) Congregational Church.
Dates: undated, 1737-1972
Abstract The Storrs Tennis Association was established to foster the game within the environs of Storrs, Connecticut, and was open to residents over the age of eighteen. The Association was in existence from circa 1915 through 1947.
Abstract The collection contains records of the Student Fee Advisory Committe at the University of Connecticut, to include budget proposals, hearings, questions, and an overview of organizations and fees charged.
Abstract The J.W. Swanberg Papers consist of chapter and caption drafts, galley proofs, correspondence, and other materials associated with Mr. Swanberg's book New Haven Power and photographs taken by Mr. Swanberg throughout his railroad career.
Dates: undated, 1954-1978, 1988-1989, 2007-2015
Abstract Terres was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on 17 December 1905. He attended the State Teachers College (Indiana, PA), Cornell University and New York University. A field biologist for the Soil Conservation Service from 1936 until 1942, Terres authored, co-authored and edited more than fifty books pertaining to natural history.
Dates: undated, 1901-1989
Abstract Eleanor Taft Tilton, daughter of Dr. Charles and Martha Jarvis Taft, was born in Hartford, Connecticut, on 1 January 1901. She attended Vassar and Barnard Colleges, but did not earn a degree. She married Arthur vcan Riper Tilton; he was employed by the Hartford Fire Insurance Company for many years. Mrs. Tilton died on 26 March 1984.
Abstract George Safford Torrey was born 14 March 1891 in Boston, Massachusetts. Torrey was hired in 1915 as an instructor of Botany at the Connecticut Agricultural College and in 1928 received tenure and was appointed Head of the Botany Department. Torrey retired from the University in 1953 and died in 1977.
Dates: undated, 1910-1980
Abstract Harleigh Bradley Trecker was born 11 February 1911 in Calery, Illinois. Trecker attended George Williams College (B.S., 1934) and the University of Chicago (M.A., 1938) before embarking upon a career in social work. From 1938 until 1941, Trecker was an instructor at George Williams College and in 1941; he accepted a position at the University of Southern California. In 1951, Trecker accepted the position of Dean, School of Social Work at the University of Connecticut; a position he retained...
Dates: undated, 1921-1981
Abstract The Connecticut Technology Park was a multi-partner development project to provide research and business environment for emerging and established companies located adjacent to the Storrs campus of the University of Connecticut.
Dates: undated, 1982-1996
Abstract An undergraduate student government has existed at the University of Connecticut in Storrs in various forms and under different names since 1894. Originally composed of nine elected students who worked with the faculty “upon matters of government of the college.” This body was reorganized in 1921 as the Student Senate. The Student Senate became the Associated Student Government (ASG) in 1933 with the adoption of a constitution. The ASG was dissolved in 1973 and was replaced by the Federation of...
Dates: undated, 1944-2009
Abstract The United Association of Plumbers and Steamfitters, Local 305, was established on 17 June 1910 by a group of piping tradesmen. Three of its founders were William Tomlinson, Charles A. Smith and Frank Kennedy.
Dates: undated, 1934-1983
Abstract The United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners was founded on 8 August 1881. In 1892, sixty-eight carpenters in the Stamford area, dissatisfied with low wages and long workweeks, agreed to join the union. With the assistance of Frank Duffy, president of the New York UBCJ Council, UBCJ Local 210 of Stamford was organized. The charter was granted on 14 October 1897.
Dates: undated, 1901-1986
Abstract Materials associated with the United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers of America, Unity Lodge, Local 251, which represented workers at the Pratt & Whitney Machine Tools Division of Niles-Bement-Pond in West Hartford, Connecticut, from 1938 to 1948. Collection consists of a membership dues book, a large scrapbook of newspaper clippings and bulletins involving a strike of the union members at the West Hartford plant from March to August 1946, the local's charter, and other...
Abstract Organized in February 1960, the University Club was created by the merger of two former Faculty Clubs with (dining) facilities in the new "Commons" building. It ceased to exist in the spring of 1968 when its functions were undertaken by the new Faculty-Alumni Center.
Dates: undated, 1960-1968
Abstract John P. MacDonald was the Director of the University of Connecticut Libraries from 1963 through 1986. The collection contains correspondence, reports, studies and information on the Libraries' and associated programs, as well as materials pertaining to MacDonald's interests in birds.
Dates: undated, 1950s-1980s
Abstract The collection contains documents related to the administrative, financial, social and cultural functions of the University of Connecticut League from 1966-201998. Founded "to promote social and friendly relations within, and to provide worthwhile service to the University and community," the UConn League has sponsored a variety of social, cultural, and fundraising events for the local and UConn communities and for its own membership.