Found in 19 Collections and/or Records:
Wilma Belknap Keyes was an assistant professor at the University of Connecticut School of Home Economics from 1938-1963. During her tenure she developed and taught over 20 new art courses and saw the beginning of the School of Fine Arts as a distinct department from the School of Home Economics.
Francis T. Maloney was a United States Senator from 1934 until his death in 1945. Previous to that, he was a Congressman and, before that, Mayor of his hometown, Meriden, Connecticut. During World War I he was a member of the U.S. Naval Reserve Force.
Approximately 857,000 photographic prints, mounted and unmounted, document the University of Connecticut.
Studied at Oberlin College, the Sheffield Scientific School and received his doctorate from Yale University. Appointed professor of Natural History in 1881. Koons succeed Dr. Armsby, acting principal, who had served as principal following Solomon Mead's retirement. B. F. Koons became principal of the school at the beginning of the winter term of 1883.
George W. Flint was born 2 March 1844 in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. He graduated from Bates College in 1871 and had been connected with educational institutions in New Hampshire and Maine before coming to Connecticut. Prior to becoming president, Flint was associated with the Collinsville (CT) schools.
The collection contains administrative records associated with the tenure of Harry J. Hartley, President of the University of Connecticut from 1990-1997.
Appointed principal and professor of agriculture at the August 1881 meeting of the Board of Trustees, Solomon Mead of New Haven is described as a “practical farmer and gardener”. He oversaw the first two years of the Storrs Agricultural School.
Records of the chief administrative officer of the University of Connecticut and its predecessor institutions. The records are subdivided by administration and identified and described by the name/tenure of the individual serving as president. In more recent years, the records are identified by date of transfer.
Charles Burt Gentry was educated at the University of Missouri and came to Connecticut from Rutgers University in 1920. He became Dean of the Division of Teacher Training in 1921, and, after his term as acting president (1928-1929), served as the director of the Division of Instruction and as Dean of the University. Gentry retired in 1950.
The records consist of the general correspondence of the President of the College . It is the only extant collection of the papers of the president for this period. The correspondence is concerned with internal administrative matters, major policy issues at the college, with the college's relations with state and federal governments, and with other educational agencies and institutions.
Charles Lewis Beach attended the University of Wisconsin. He served on the faculty of the Storrs Agricultural College and Connecticut Agricultural College as an instructor in Dairy Husbandry (1894-1904). After serving in a similar position at the University of Vermont, Beach returned to the College as its fourth president in 1908. Beach Hall was dedicated in his honor in 1929 a year after his retirement from the college. Charles Lewis Beach died 15 September 1933.
Edwin O. Smith served as acting President of the Connecticut Agricultural College from April - September 1908. The one folder of correspondence pertains to the dual-job amendment before the Connecticut General Assembly in the late 1950s.
Contains the office files of the President's Office during Dr. Ferguson's administration as well as personal documents, correspondence, photographs, diaries, and emphemera from Ferguson's childhood through his careers as a diplomat, administrator of the Peace Corps/VISTA, academic administrator, and head of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty and Lincoln Center.
In March, 1979, John A. DiBiaggio became the tenth president of the University of Connecticut, eleven months after the resignation of Glenn W. Ferguson.
John T. Casteen III was inaugurated as the University of Connecticut's eleventh president on October 12, 1985.
Professor of English language and literature (1897-1901). Appointed president pro tempore by the Board of Trustees 5 October 1901. Stimson rResigned in 1908 to “become the executive head of an agricultural college that is to be established at Northampton, MA to be known as the Smith Agricultural School.”
George Alan Works assumed the presidency of Connecticut Agricultural College in 1929 after a distinguished career at the University of Chicago.