Found in 57 Collections and/or Records:
The ‘experimental college’ provided its community based in Orono, Maine and university students at the University of Maine with free classes. This file includes booklets containing registration information, courses, and updates about the organization. The booklets included span Autumn/Spring 1971, Autumn/Spring 1972, Spring 1973. These issues are not presented in chronological order.
The American Montessori Society (AMS) Records document the history of an important American educational organization, and consist of printed, typescript, and handwritten materials; sound recordings; films; photographs; and slides. The collection, although not complete, reflects AMS's professional and administrative activities and also provides historical information about the Montessori system of education in general.
Minutes of meetings between the President and Vice Presidents of the University.
Fred A. Cazel, Jr., professor of History (1948-1988)at the University of Connecticut from 1948-1988. Active in many professional and University committees, Dr. Cazel died in July 2011.
Collection contains significant documentation of the University's Centennial Celebration which took place in the academic year 1980-1981.
The Centennial Coordinating Committee was responsible for the extensive planning of the university of Connecticut's centennial celebration. The official observance of its 100th anniversary began 23 September 1980. William C. Orr served as chairman of the committee from its inception in 1979 to a successful conclusion at the Ninety-Eighth Annual Commencement, 24 May 1981.
The Center began operation during the 1967/1968 academic year and served as an interdisciplinary focus for the study of modern Italy. The Center was active in establishing courses, contacts abroad and increasing the level of appropriate library acquisitions. The Center was discontinued at the end of the 1974/1975 academic year.
The Child Development Laboratories (CDL) are part of the School of Family Studies and serve the university, community and state as a model demonstration laboratory center.
Hugh Clark received his bachelor's degree from Clark University in 1934 and a doctoral degree from the University of Michigan in 1941. He was employed by the University of Iowa from 1945 to 1947, when he joined the faculty at the University of Connecticut. Clark specialized in developmental biology and retired from the University in 1983. The collection contains correspondence, administrative, professional and personnel files relating to Clark's responsibilities and interests.
In 1971, a Commission was established to investigate proposals for University governance and report back to the University community. Dr. Albert Cohen chaired the Commission.
The collection contains memoranda, minutes, examinations and questions pertaining to the development of a comprehensive examination program at the University of Connecticut for undergraduates culminating in the ability of students to graduate with distinction from their degree programs.
The Connecticut School Desegregation Collection consisits of materials related to the legal issues surrounding school desegregation in Hartford and Bridgeport, Connecticut. The collection provides an overview of the regional and national concerns in the area of desegregation, and two court cases that fought to bring an end to school segregation and discrimination.
In 1957, the Connecticut Federation of Labor and the Connecticut State Industrial Union Council (CSIUC) merged to form the Connecticut State Labor Council, AFL-CIO, generally referred to today as the Connecticut State AFL-CIO. The stated purpose of the new organization was to provide a more effective means of promoting and coordinating the principles and objectives of the AFL-CIO in Connecticut.
The Connecticut Training School (CTS) for Nurses opened in 1873 and closed in 1926. The Connecticut Training School for Nurses Alumnae Association was formed in January 1891 and was dissolved in 1964. An addition to the collection includes correspondence and notes from individuals associated with the establishment of CTS.
Robert Creeley attended Harvard University, Black Mountain College and University of New Mexico. A member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters, Creeley has written novels, short stories, plays, screenplays, poetry, literary criticism and history. Creeley died in 2005.
In the late 1960s, the University experienced significant changes, disruption and unrest among the faculty and student body. The white paper provides some documentation and background for this period.
The collection consists of materials that primarily document the lives and concerns of educated middle class young women of the mid-nineteenth century.
Diane Di Prima, best known for her work as a Beat poet and writer, was born 6 August 1934 in Brooklyn, New York. She attended Swarthmore College (1951-1953). Di Prima has received National Endowment for the Arts grants in 1966 for Poets Press and in 1973. She writes nonfiction, autobiographies, journals, essays, poetry and plays.
In 1955, the Connecticut General Assembly authorized funding for the construction of a junior-senior high school in Mansfield, Connecticut, to be administered by the University of Connecticut. The school opened in the fall of 1958 and remained a division of the UConn School of Education until the summer of 1987.
Mildred P. French was the Dean of Women and Home Economics at the University of Connecticut from 1928 until her retirement in 1953.
Theodore Sedgwick Gold was born in Madison, New York. T.S. Gold graduated from Yale College in 1838 and then spent four years studying and teaching at academies in Goshen and Waterbury. He moved to Cornwall in 1842 to pursue a career in farming. Mr. Gold was a trustee of the Storrs Agricultural School from 1881 to 1901 and took an active role in promoting the school's growth and development throughout his lifetime.
Dorothy C. Goodwin was born in Hartford, CT, on 2 September 1914. Goodwin grew up in Connecticut and graduated magna cum laude from Smith College in 1937 (B.A., Sociology). In 1974, Goodwin returned to government service by winning a seat in the Connecticut General Assembly as a Democratic representative of the 54th district (includes Mansfield). She held positions on the Education, Finance and Human Services Committees, and co-chaired the Education Committee for much of her career.
The Greater Hartford Labor Council (GHLC) was formed in 1957. All local unions belonging to an international affiliated to the AFL-CIO or affiliated to the AFL-CIO directly are able to join the central labor body in their region upon payment of dues.
John Colton Greene (b. 1917) was a Professor of History at the University of Connecticut from 1967 until his retirement twenty years later. His research interests included history of evolutionary ideas in Western thought, early American science, and the historical relations of science, religion, and world view.
The Charles G. Hall Papers contain correspondence, diaries, family papers, scrapbooks, photographs, publications, and other papers, relating to Hall's personal life, student days at Connecticut Agricultural College, activities as doorkeeper of Connecticut House of Representatives, state politics, events at University of Connecticut, and family affairs.