Found in 56 Collections and/or Records:
The Institute of Water Resources was established in 1964 to encourage basic and applied research and to develop technical competence in the broad field of water resources.
The Connecticut State conference of the International Women's Year was held at the University of Bridgeport on 11-12 June 1977. The women's conference was sponsored by the National Committee on the Observance of International Women's Year in order to elect delegates to attend the National Conference in Houston in November and to adopt resolutions to present to the National Conference.
Wilma Belknap Keyes was an assistant professor at the University of Connecticut School of Home Economics from 1938-1963. During her tenure she developed and taught over 20 new art courses and saw the beginning of the School of Fine Arts as a distinct department from the School of Home Economics.
First established as a program within the Labor Management Institute in 1946, the Labor Education evolved into a separate center in 1961. Its purpose is to fulfill the educational, consultation, and research needs of the state's unions.
Artificial collection created by the department of Special Collections at the University of Connecticut Library prior to its merger with Historical Manuscripts and Archives in 1995.
Francis T. Maloney was a United States Senator from 1934 until his death in 1945. Previous to that, he was a Congressman and, before that, Mayor of his hometown, Meriden, Connecticut. During World War I he was a member of the U.S. Naval Reserve Force.
A noted educator, administrator, writer and researcher, Dr. May joined the faculty of the University of Connecticut in 1952 as Dean of the School of Home Economics at the University of Connecticut. She retired from the University in 1964.
The Meriden-Wallingford School of Nursing traces its history to the establishment of the Meriden Hospital Nursing program in 1892. The program flourished from the 1890s until 1973 when it was phased out, following the national trend to move nursing programs from the hospital environment to a collegiate environment. The last class graduated in 1976.
Garry A. Miles was an instructor at the University of Connecticut from 1933 (Extension, Asst. Poultryman 1933-?; Instructor, Poultry Husbandry by 1940-1943).
Lawrence Morico was born 2 April 1936 and completed his undergraduate education at the University of Connecticut in 1958.
The collection contains correspondence between American Buddhist poet Will Petersen and Cid Corman.
Petition to receive a charter from the Honor Society Phi Kappa Phi was begun and the local chapter organized in 1951. The Society itself was organized in 1897 to recognize and encourage superior scholarship in all academic disciplines. Admission is by invitation only and requires nomination and approval by a local chapter
Arthur Joseph Pierpont was born 3 December 1876. He was a 1895 graduate of Storrs Agricultural College, now the University of Connecticut. A noted authority on agricultural matters, Mr. Pierpont was a member of the Waterbury Milk Producers Association, Trustee of his alma mater (Connecticut Agricultural College as of 1899) and manager of the College's Gilbert Farm, a working farm in Georgetown, Connecticut, bequeathed to the College in 1906.
The collection primarily consists of correspondence between Edward J. Rubins and his wife, Ruth, between 1942 and 1943. Also included is a mansucript copy of Rubins' dissertation (1948, University of Maryland) and two letters from Albert Jorgensen, President of the University of Connecticut, concerning Rubins' employment at the University.
Malcolm D. Rudd was born 3 April 1877 in Lakeville, CT, the son of General William Bearfslee (1838-1901) and Maria Coffing (Holley) Rudd (1842-1914). He was treasurer and general manager of the Holley Manufacturing Company from 1901 until his death in 1942.
Andre Schenker was born in 1897 and received his education at the Connecticut Agricultural College (UConn) and Yale University. He was a professor of history at UConn from 1928 - 1965.
Established in 1946, the School of Social Work is located on the Greater Hartford campus of the University of Connecticut. The University of Connecticut School of Social Work promotes social and economic justice by providing high quality education in social work. The School prepares competent professionals with knowledge, as well as general and specialized method skills for helping people enrich their lives, improve their communities, and contribute to a more just social order.
Professor of Political Science at the University of Connecticut from 1971 to 1984, Seidman was involved with the creation of the Marshall Plan and the development of the European Recovery Corporation under President Truman. He played a major role in the passage of the St. Lawrence Seaway Project, testified on the admission of Alaska and Hawaii into statehood and on the government's role towards the territories of Guam, Puerto Rico, the Panama Canal and Ryker Island.
The Smith family of Canterbury, CT, owned and operated a number of mills in the section of Hanover from the mid-eighteenth century until the 1940s. The original site on Little River, north of Hanover and Woodchuck Hill Roads, became the home to five successive generations of Smiths.
Walter Stemmons became Agricultural Editor at the Connecticut Agricultural College in 1918. The scope of his official responsibilities expanded rapidly as the college grew into a state university. He was director of the Division of Publications and University Editor until he retired in 1954.
George Safford Torrey was born 14 March 1891 in Boston, Massachusetts. Torrey was hired in 1915 as an instructor of Botany at the Connecticut Agricultural College and in 1928 received tenure and was appointed Head of the Botany Department. Torrey retired from the University in 1953 and died in 1977.
University of Connecticut, Vice President for Academic Affairs Office Records [Kenneth G. Wilson, 1974-1981]
The collection contains administrative records, correspondence, reports, minutes, publications and other materials pertaining to the administration of the academic segments of the University. The collection documents the policies, programs and major issues of concern for the institution from the mid 1970s through the early 1980s.