Universities and colleges
Found in 89 Collections and/or Records:
The Faculty Club of the Connecticut Agricultural College was founded in 1915. It was established as a social organization open to "all male members of the several college staffs whose names appear in the catalog."
An artificial collection of meeting minutes of various faculty groups.
Mildred P. French was the Dean of Women and Home Economics at the University of Connecticut from 1928 until her retirement in 1953.
The collection contains calendars, correspondence and personal materials created or acquired during the Gaylord family's association with the University.
Theodore Sedgwick Gold was born in Madison, New York. T.S. Gold graduated from Yale College in 1838 and then spent four years studying and teaching at academies in Goshen and Waterbury. He moved to Cornwall in 1842 to pursue a career in farming. Mr. Gold was a trustee of the Storrs Agricultural School from 1881 to 1901 and took an active role in promoting the school's growth and development throughout his lifetime.
Dorothy C. Goodwin was born in Hartford, CT, on 2 September 1914. Goodwin grew up in Connecticut and graduated magna cum laude from Smith College in 1937 (B.A., Sociology). In 1974, Goodwin returned to government service by winning a seat in the Connecticut General Assembly as a Democratic representative of the 54th district (includes Mansfield). She held positions on the Education, Finance and Human Services Committees, and co-chaired the Education Committee for much of her career.
John Colton Greene (b. 1917) was a Professor of History at the University of Connecticut from 1967 until his retirement twenty years later. His research interests included history of evolutionary ideas in Western thought, early American science, and the historical relations of science, religion, and world view.
The Charles G. Hall Papers contain correspondence, diaries, family papers, scrapbooks, photographs, publications, and other papers, relating to Hall's personal life, student days at Connecticut Agricultural College, activities as doorkeeper of Connecticut House of Representatives, state politics, events at University of Connecticut, and family affairs.
The project lasted five years and was officially titled “Work Simplification in the Area of Child Care for Physically Handicapped Women”. The main work of the project took place between 1955 and 1960.
Materials pertaining to the programs and activities of the department.The collection contains materials from the history department during from the 1950s through the early twenty-first century. It contains the department's administrative records, along with correspondence, news clippings, notes, publications, financial records, and awards.
The collection contains the administrative records of Dr. A. William Hoglund, Professor of History at the University of Connecticut from 1961 until his retirement in 1997.
The Institute of Water Resources was established in 1964 to encourage basic and applied research and to develop technical competence in the broad field of water resources.
The Connecticut State conference of the International Women's Year was held at the University of Bridgeport on 11-12 June 1977. The women's conference was sponsored by the National Committee on the Observance of International Women's Year in order to elect delegates to attend the National Conference in Houston in November and to adopt resolutions to present to the National Conference.
Wilma Belknap Keyes was an assistant professor at the University of Connecticut School of Home Economics from 1938-1963. During her tenure she developed and taught over 20 new art courses and saw the beginning of the School of Fine Arts as a distinct department from the School of Home Economics.
First established as a program within the Labor Management Institute in 1946, the Labor Education evolved into a separate center in 1961. Its purpose is to fulfill the educational, consultation, and research needs of the state's unions.
Approximately 131,500 negatives documenting all aspects of University life and the town and residents of Storrs, Connecticut.
Artificial collection created by Special Collections prior to 1995.
The Loeb Awards were designed to reward authors whose writings in business and finance report explain the mechanics, strengths, problems, and values of American capitalism and enterprise. The Advisory Board of the Loeb Awards at the University of Connecticut sought those meritorious journalistic contributions which combined superior writing, clarity, accuracy, and analysis of subjects of import to the growth and development of the American enterprise system.
Francis T. Maloney was a United States Senator from 1934 until his death in 1945. Previous to that, he was a Congressman and, before that, Mayor of his hometown, Meriden, Connecticut. During World War I he was a member of the U.S. Naval Reserve Force.
A noted educator, administrator, writer and researcher, Dr. May joined the faculty of the University of Connecticut in 1952 as Dean of the School of Home Economics at the University of Connecticut. She retired from the University in 1964.
Garry A. Miles was an instructor at the University of Connecticut from 1933 (Extension, Asst. Poultryman 1933-?; Instructor, Poultry Husbandry by 1940-1943).
The office created, handled and distributed the official communications of the instituions with the public and press communities. These operations were transferred to the Athletic Communications Office and the University Relations Office (currently known as University Communications) in 1977-19782 and 2000, respectively.
The records of the Ombudsman's Office Records contains case files, administrative records, fliers, news clippings, and legal documents from the period the office existed at the university. The Office of the Ombudsman at the University of Connecticut was an office that was founded to mediate disputes among university members. The ombudsman acted as an impartial arbitrator who helped resolve disputes within the university community and was an advocate for fairness and equality.
The collection contains the professional papers of Marie Ferguson Peters, the first African American Professor at the University (Home Economics, 1963), and her husband, psychologist James S. Peters II. Drafts and proofs of Dr. James Peters' work is also included in the collection.
Petition to receive a charter from the Honor Society Phi Kappa Phi was begun and the local chapter organized in 1951. The Society itself was organized in 1897 to recognize and encourage superior scholarship in all academic disciplines. Admission is by invitation only and requires nomination and approval by a local chapter
Arthur Joseph Pierpont was born 3 December 1876. He was a 1895 graduate of Storrs Agricultural College, now the University of Connecticut. A noted authority on agricultural matters, Mr. Pierpont was a member of the Waterbury Milk Producers Association, Trustee of his alma mater (Connecticut Agricultural College as of 1899) and manager of the College's Gilbert Farm, a working farm in Georgetown, Connecticut, bequeathed to the College in 1906.
George W. Flint was born 2 March 1844 in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. He graduated from Bates College in 1871 and had been connected with educational institutions in New Hampshire and Maine before coming to Connecticut. Prior to becoming president, Flint was associated with the Collinsville (CT) schools.